Having got back from all my travels, I’m going back on the wagon. Not THAT wagon, although to some extent it’s a little inevitable. I mean the diet wagon.
About a year ago, Mr Eleanor and I had a medical. They weighed us both, and we both exclaimed “oh, fuck!” I’ve always been a little bit on the heavy side but never had much success with losing weight. I think that was primarily because I was never actually really dieting 😛
But this time “something has to be done” and “things have to change“. And this time I (we) succeeded, losing nearly 20lbs (9kg) each on a cunning diet I devised called Eat Less (You Fat Bastards).
One of my bucket list items is to reach my ideal weight, preferably by Christmas but definitely by my 40th early next year. This is a weight chosen by me, not Vogue magazine, that will infinitely improve my health (reduce pressure on my arthritic joints, reduce the risk of diabetes etc) and hopefully stop my jeans trying to macerate my internal organs when I sit down.
I only tell you all this because I’ve been trying to dream up some healthy, lower calorie breakfasts that abide by my need for higher protein in the morning. (And that will also alleviate the crushing despair and boredom of being on a diet.) So here are my thoughts for some, in the region of ~250kcal:
- Egg and toast: 1 piece wholemeal toast, 1 poached egg, 6-8 cooked mushrooms and a grilled tomato (no added fat – not even for cooking!)
- Toasted cherry almond cornbread (2 pieces – no butter)
- Granola and fruit: 50g homemade granola, 1/2 an apple or peach, 1 tbsp low fat yog
- Bircher muesli
- Berried soy milk porridge: 40g oats, 100ml soy milk + water as needed, 50g fresh/frozen berries and a scattering of toasted almonds
- Cheesy sweet potato muffin
- Banana toast: 1 piece of wholemeal bread, 2 tsp peanut butter, 1/2 sliced banana, a sprinkle of cinnamon
I only have 5 or 6lbs to go which is GREAT! But ‘they’ tell me that those last 5lbs are the hardest to shift. ‘They’ can be really negative sometimes, can’t ‘they’?
Now all this talk about food is making me a bit hungry …