Animal protein + seed bearing plant product is an age old combination. Roast pork and apple sauce? Canard a l’orange? What about the original and medieval mince pies?! But it’s not something that we seem to jump on that much.
Fruit with meat does two things:
- Fresh fruit acids cut through any fatty richness to make the dish more palatable
- Fruit aromatics complement and enhance the umami savoury notes of the meat or fish
Plus it’s another of your 5 a day – bonus!
Can’t decide which of these to go with this week, but it’s going to be a scorcher so definitely something that will go on the barbie
- Orange balsamic glazed duck with orange, beetroot and goats’ cheese salad
- Chicken and mango curry
- BBQ calamari with pineapple and red pepper salsa
- Grilled mackerel and rhubarb
- Kampot prawns and green papaya salad
- Buttermilk fried chicken and honey apple coleslaw
- Grilled pork steak topped with pear and blue cheese